We’ve all been there – running around organising everyone and everything else, and then suddenly it’s time for the Christmas Party and you’ve forgotten the one thing that will make it an amazing night. Yes, YOUR outfit! Let’s ease some of that pressure for you with our Christmas Party Outfit Checklist from me at Five Six Blue Boutique:
- Check whether there is a ‘dress code’. This is as important as working out the time and the place for the party. You are going to look like a total cupcake if you turn up to a black tie do in a Hawaiian shirt (and vice versa, clearly).
- Is it a ‘sit-down’ do or is it a do where you’ll be standing up for large parts of the evening? Trust me, you need to know the answer to this question in order to select the right shoes (or to know to pack a pair of sparkly flats for when your gorgeous new 6 inch heels start to nip a bit). Also, basically you need to understand whether that dress you’ve s-q-u-e-e-z-e-d into is going to withstand the pressure on the zip if you end up at a pseudo-1950s ‘dinner dance’ affair where you’re expected to sit still for 3 hours at the beginning (these functions do still exist)!
- Who else is going? If you can coordinate your outfits beforehand, you will be less likely to end up in the ladies loo crying because Janice from Accounts is wearing the EXACT same dress as you and she’s a size 8…………..on that subject (and I would say this) try and avoid the High Street in-season most popular thing. Go indie and again, you’re less likely to look like a group of clones (inserts laughing emoji – except I’m writing this on a 1950s desktop…….well, it’s not a mobile device anyway).
- Who’s not going? This allows for temporary wardrobe steals. Don’t underestimate the power of ‘borrowing’ your besties coat, dress, bag……….
- How are you getting there? If you don’t want a London Underground style ‘Tube Blow Dry’ at the beginning of your evening, then work out the transport plan NOW. It’s really unbecoming to shout at your OH on a tube platform whilst he’s looking like James Bond (woohoo lucky me) and your hairstyle could basically be described as ‘dishevelled’ or as my Mum would say, ‘dragged through a hedge backwards’.
- What is in your wardrobe that makes you feel fabulous and actually fits you? Despite being No6 on this checklist, this is pretty crucial, because it allows you to PLAN. Never underestimate the power of the plan for the Christmas Party Outfit.
- Make a couple of possible outfit choices. Spend some time trying stuff on so that you know before the day whether you need a new top, trousers, jacket, dress or necklace and if you need some help with that………..
- Book your hair/nails/tanning/waxing appointments. You’ll want to feel and look your best inside and outside of your chosen outfit.
- Make sure you have enough time to get ready on the night. Get the babysitter there half an hour early if necessary – that way you get 30 whole minutes to perfect your look in peace!
- Enjoy your well-planned evening of festive fun.
Have a fabulous Christmas Party season.
Oh and here are my top party picks for this festive season and these can all be found here: