Hygge – the art of getting cosy in Scandinavia (Denmark specifically). Old hat or a new way of getting through a winter of pandemic…….?
Reflecting on the year of 2020 seems like the thing to do right now. We are not believers in the doom and gloom of some on social media : ‘the worst year ever’ etc. Yes, 2020 has been a challenge, but then so was 2019, 2018, 2017…….frankly every year since the Brexit referendum has been a challenge for fashion retailers. We have ridden out the ‘fast-fashion’ storm (none of that here, thanks very much), the anti-plastics storm (our packaging is all pretty much plastic free now), the Brexit deal or no deal storm (erm Customs processes are still in gibberish, so that Masters Degree should come in handy) and now the pandemic is upon us and guess what? Five Six Blue is still here: online, with our ethos and integrity intact – same as we were on day one in 2014.
This year has taught us a lot about what we are and where we are headed. We have dropped brands who have chased the fast buck over loyalty, and kept brands who have been supportive in this situation with us. It’s been an enlightening time!
To counter all the negativity surrounding the subject of 2020, we have decided to focus on the positives instead.
We’ve decided that embracing ‘hygge’ is the way to get through the winter of 2020/2021 – so here are a few of our favourite Scandi tips to help get you started on your hygge journeys too:
- Take a social media break – try it – it will honestly make you wonder what all the fuss was about! So what if Mrs Silly Knickers has got a new car/dog/house/hairstyle? She’s welcome to them and we hope that she is happy in her own skin.
- Surround yourself (virtually given The Covid – had to get that in here – it drives my OH insane that people refer to this virus as a definite article) with people and things that make you smile.
- Take up a new hobby/skill. I have rediscovered knitting (yes, really) and am working my way through some traditional Fair Isle patterns and applying these techniques to different yarns and have started making a throw, with plans to make lots of throws (haha).
- Keep in touch with your friends and family via Zoom/Skype/Messenger video calls – honestly it makes a big difference just to see a new face and to laugh about how your parents look like chads on screen as they wrestle with technology (or is that just mine where all I get to see are the tops of their heads, and sometimes their glasses…..it really cracks me up).
- Wear comfy clothes from now on in. Simply collect up the tight waisted skinny fit jeans that you own and shove them on eBay. Use the sales money to get really really comfortable joggers and jersey troos instead – yes, we know a place that will help with that…..!
- Burn candles to create a hygge space in your home. Make sure that you find scents you adore and made from natural plant waxes so that you are not putting nasties into your atmosphere at home. Clearly we have a few favourites – but our number one scent for right now is (drum roll)…..Plum and Ashby Orange and Clove – simply divine with all its fruity and spiciness.
To help you on your journey, here is our edit of our most hygge products right now: